Thursday, June 2, 2011

Woody Allen?

The last couple of days have been interesting. Between executions and feeding hungry volunteer inmates at the house (who knew that bacon would be such a hit?! PS, our flower beds look awesome!), I have strangely had such a peace the last several days. I wanted to first thank you guys for praying for me, I want you to know it is working. He is working, and He is giving me peace and strength I never knew I had. Thank you for praying for me, but continue to pray for the the families of the men incarcerated and also the men incarcerated.

Side note about my day, I found myself sitting at the front desk this afternoon anxiously waiting to answer the phone and say "Hospitality House, this is Nina, how may I help you?" and it NEVER rang. So I had some time to kill. I found myself doing some stuff for school in the fall, and doing more research on DBU's grad school programs. I starting looking up places I wanted to go, plans I want to make. I started looking into how much it would cost to fly to NYC (I want to go back real bad!).Strangely, I am reading this book by Susan Hill called Closer Than Your Skin. I am not very far into it, but it is talking about our relationship with Christ, and how He is closer than we think and give Him credit for. Something I like about his book, is that at the beginning of every chapter is a quote that will pertain to the chapter. I was reading this afternoon after I was off for the night, and strangely Woody Allen got me thinking. He said

"How to make God laugh: Tell Him your future plans." 

I kind of chuckled out loud to be honest. That is what I spent several hours of my day doing today, making future plans. I was just wasting time. I had such a ministry opportunity in front of me, and I didn't really take hold of it. I had men in the front of the house that need encouragement. That need Jesus. How often do we do this? How often do we waste time making future plans, and miss out on opportunities He has given us right then? I am definitely convicted. Thank you Lord for showing me this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nina! You've been on my mind this morning girl. There have been so many times when "I didn't have anything to do," and I forget that maybe God wants me to pray during that time. You know? Anyways, so glad God is showing you his heart with gentleness this summer. I pray that you return a TRANSFORMED person...whose sole focus in life is being His ambassador, a light in darkness.

    ReplyDelete